Beachy waves are a timeless and effortless hairstyle that can be achieved with a variety of tools and techniques. However, if you have short hair, it can be challenging to create those coveted waves without damaging your hair or spending hours in front of a mirror. That’s where a dry perm comes in.
What is a Dry Perm?
A dry perm is a hair-perming technique that doesn’t involve wetting your hair or using chemicals like traditional perms. Instead, a dry perm uses heat to create curls and waves in dry hair. The heat opens up the hair shaft, allowing the stylist to manipulate the hair’s shape and form without breaking its bonds.
Why Choose a Dry Perm for Short Hair?
Short hair can be challenging to curl or wave because there isn’t as much hair to work with, and the curls can easily fall flat. With a dry perm, you can add volume and texture to your short hair without having to worry about the weight of wet hair pulling your curls down. Plus, a dry perm is less damaging to your hair than a traditional perm because it doesn’t use harsh chemicals that can weaken the hair shaft.
How to Get a Dry Perm for Short Hair
Getting a dry perm for short hair is a relatively straightforward process. Here are the steps involved:
- Choose a stylist who specializes in dry perms for short hair.
- Consult with your stylist to determine the best type of perm for your hair type and desired outcome.
- Prepare your hair by washing it with a clarifying shampoo and conditioning it.
- Dry your hair completely with a hairdryer or let it air dry.
- Divide your hair into sections and wrap each section tightly around perm rods.
- Apply heat to your hair using a hair dryer or a heat lamp.
- Leave the perm rods in your hair for around 15-30 minutes, depending on your hair type and desired outcome.
- Remove the perm rods and apply a neutralizing solution to set the curls.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with water and style it as desired.
Tips for Maintaining Your Beachy Waves
Now that you have your perfect beachy waves, you’ll want to maintain them for as long as possible. Here are some tips to help you do just that:
- Avoid washing your hair too often, as this can strip the curls of their shape and texture.
- Use a volumizing mousse or spray to add volume and texture to your hair between washes.
- Use a diffuser attachment on your hairdryer to dry your hair without disturbing the curls.
- Avoid using hot styling tools like curling irons or straighteners, as this can damage your hair and weaken the curls.
- Use a hair serum or oil to add shine and reduce frizz.
- Get regular trims to keep your hair healthy and prevent split ends.
A dry perm is an excellent option for anyone who wants to add beachy waves to their short hair without damaging it. With a little bit of preparation and the right technique, you can achieve the perfect beachy waves that will last for weeks. Just remember to take good care of your hair and follow the tips above to keep your waves looking their best.