If you’re tired of your regular hairstyle and want to switch things up, a Korean perm might just be the answer. Korean perms are known for creating soft, natural-looking curls that last for months. While getting a professional perm at a salon can be expensive, you can achieve the same results with a DIY Korean perm at home. Here’s how:
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
- Perm solution and neutralizer
- Plastic perm rods
- Comb and sectioning clips
- Gloves and towel
- Shampoo and conditioner
Step 2: Prep Your Hair
- Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove any buildup and oils.
- Section your hair into small, even sections and clip them in place.
- Put on gloves and wrap a towel around your shoulders to protect your clothes.
Step 3: Roll Your Hair
- Starting at the nape of your neck, take a small section of hair and comb it through.
- Take a plastic perm rod and wrap the section of hair around it, starting at the ends and rolling it up towards your scalp.
- Secure the rod in place and continue rolling the rest of your hair in the same way.
- Make sure all of your hair is evenly distributed on the rods.
Step 4: Apply the Perm Solution
- Put on gloves and open the perm solution.
- Apply the solution to each perm rod, making sure to saturate all of the hair.
- Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap and let the solution sit on your hair for the recommended amount of time (usually around 20-30 minutes).
Step 5: Rinse and Neutralize
- Remove the shower cap and rinse your hair with warm water for at least 5 minutes to thoroughly remove the perm solution.
- Apply the neutralizer to each perm rod and let it sit for the recommended amount of time (usually around 10-15 minutes).
- Rinse your hair with warm water for another 5 minutes to remove the neutralizer.
Step 6: Style Your Hair
- Remove the perm rods and gently towel dry your hair.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner or styling product to help define your curls and reduce frizz.
- You can choose to air dry your hair or use a diffuser attachment on your hair dryer to speed up the drying process.
- Once your hair is dry, use a curling iron to touch up any areas that need more definition.
With these simple steps, you can achieve beautifully styled hair with a DIY Korean perm at home. Remember to always follow the instructions on your perm solution and neutralizer carefully to avoid damaging your hair. Happy perming!